I am up to my eyeballs in strawberries and we didn’t even pick half as many as we usually do!
I wanted to try something new with our bounty this year. The English in me loves custard, any custard will do. To me, custard is like pizza. Even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty darn good! Eggs, sugar, cream … I mean, come on! How can you go wrong?
Here’s a lovely, simple, not too sweet tart for your berry haul.
Almond Sugar Cookie Tart Crust
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until it comes together. The mix will still be a bit crumbly.
- Press into a tart pan and push up onto the sides of the tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until shell is lightly brown. Cool.
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise, seeds scraped out
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbs plus 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbs butter
- Simmer milk, in a saucepan with half the sugar, the salt, vanilla bean and seeds over med-low heat.
- In a small bowl beat the egg yolks with the other half of the sugar.
- Add the corn starch to the egg mixture one tablespoon at a time.
- Temper the egg mixture by slowly pouring the warm milk in a little at a time.
- Return mixture to the pot and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and beat in the butter.
- Pour into cooled crust and refrigerate until ready to assemble.