My hubby works pretty hard during the week. With two construction companies to run, he doesn’t have much time to eat properly on the road or job site. I’m always looking for something to pop in his bag to keep him going during the day (and away from the Timmy’s).
These are crazy easy to make and way cheaper than store bought. (Not to mention they aren’t rammed full of sugar.) I bought a big bag of organic slow cooking oats for only $4.50 – I’d guess the whole batch didn’t cost more than $2.50, and I got 30 bars from the recipe. That’s less than 10 cents a bar, and they’re organic to boot!
Talk about cheap and cheerful!
PB & Honey Granola Bar Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats (slow cooking)
- 1/2 cup crispy brown rice cereal (I used Nature’s Path Organic)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (grind oats if you don’t have on hand)
- 2 tbs ground chia seeds (flax would work too)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup of your favourite healthy, neutral flavoured oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 3 packets of stevia or other dry sweetener
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roughly chopped (I used roasted & salted peanuts)
- extra peanut butter for smearing
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix dry ingredients well.
- Mix wet ingredients and combine with dry.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread mixture on sheet evenly, cover with another piece of parchment and press down, HARD. (I used my rolling pin.)
- Remove top sheet of parchment and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, being careful not to over-brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Slather each with a thin layer of peanut butter, make into sandwiches and devour.
These can be frozen if wrapped well.